Warning: these chocolate squares are seriously addictive! I can’t take credit for this recipe – a dear friend’s mother made them for me once, and I’ve been hooked ever since. This recipe has been top of mind lately because they’re a perfect no-bake summer dessert that’s a real crowd-pleaser. If you’re a fan of Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars, you’re going to love these.
The best part? One small square is less than 100 calories, and those calories are plant-based and nutrient dense. I love bringing these to a party because even when friends are on a gluten-free or processed-sugar free diet, they can still indulge in these without feeling guilty.
It only takes about 15 minutes to whip these up (another hour or so in the fridge), and I usually have most of the ingredients already in my pantry. The key with this recipe is using quality ingredients – splurge on the high-grade dark chocolate and nut butter, it makes all the difference.
PRO TIP: Don’t forget these are ice box squares, and should be eaten shortly after being taken out of the fridge. Think of them like an ice cream cake.
- 1/2 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, your choice!)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups oats
- 1 and 1/4 chups chopped dark chocolate (or semisweet baking chocolate)
- 1/2 cup nuts (I used a mix of walnuts and almonds!)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (I prefer cranberries and blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan or sea salt
- In a a large pot over low heat, stir together nut butter, honey and coconut oil.
- Remove from heat and stir in oats, chocolate, coconut, nuts and dried fruit.
- Pour mixture into a parchment lined 8×8 pan, spreading until even through out.
- Sprinkle top lightly with salt, and chill in fridge until firm.
- Cut into squares immediately before serving.