To me, the ultimate Valentine’s Day gift to give or receive is a homemade treat, made with love. This treat is perfect for the baking-averse, because there’s no actual baking involved! It’s kind of like if a Rice Krispie Square and a Snickerdoodle had a baby, flavour-wise. They’re simple enough that you can make them in half an hour and delicious enough that your Valentine will feel extra special receiving them. What’s not to love?
- Nonstick spray
- 1/3 cups butter
- 10 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 4 drops red food colouring (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- Line a 9×12 pan with aluminum foil and coat lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter until it boils and begins to brown, stirring constantly.
- Add 8 cups of the marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the food colouring (optional), vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Immediately stir in the cereal until coated evenly in the marshmallow mixture.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press evenly (I like to put a little cooking spray on my hands and press down – it’s the best way to get them super flat without having the mixture totally stick to your hands).
- Once the mixture has cooled, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter (or the cookie cutter of your choosing!) to cut out the treats.