I have a steady rotation of soups that I make all winter long, and this soup is a new addition that I can’t get enough of. It’s loaded up with veggies and quinoa, so it’s healthy but still satisfying, and it has a nice kick from the paprika and sausage spice.
A note on the quinoa: I like to pre-cook it before I put it in the soup, so that it doesn’t soak up all that delicious broth that’s been simmering. There’s nothing worse than ending up with a dry pot of soup!
- 3 mild Italian sausages, uncased
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carton chicken broth (about 4 cups. You could sub in veggie broth to make this recipe vegan)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bunch curly kale, chopped with stems removed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, brown sausage until thoroughly cooked.
- Add garlic, potato, onion, carrots and celery, stirring to combine and sautéing for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and paprika. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until all vegetables have softened.
- Add kale and cook for about 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add in quinoa and and serve immediately.