Is it a pizza? Is it a naan? Is it a flatbread? I’m inclined to think it’s a delicious combination of all three. I love ordering lamb pizza whenever I see it on a menu, but it’s hard to come by, so I decided to create my own lazy version at home. I classify it as lazy because I use store-bought naan bread instead of making my own pizza dough. I think the naan actually compliments the flavours of the spiced lamb in a really nice way, and it takes a lot of prep time out of this dish. That said, you could definitely sub in homemade or store bought pizza dough (adjusting bake times accordingly), or even flatbread or pita bread if that’s your preference.
Eating these pizzas can be a bit messy, but it’s so worth it. Baking the naan helps, because it leaves the bottom super crispy (perfect for holding the pizza together) and the top soft and pillowy under all the toppings. This recipe does have a bit of a spicy kick from the harissa, so if you’re not into spicy, use less harissa and more tomato paste. I love all the toppings on this pizza – the creamy feta compliments the tangy squeeze of lemon, and the parsley and onions provide a super fresh crunch. You could also add on fresh mint, cilantro, a drizzle of plain yogurt or tahini, green onions, you name it! This pizza is versatile and meant to be experimented with.
- 500g ground lamb
- 1/3 cup harissa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing onto naan edges
- 5 naan breads
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, mix lamb, harissa, tomato paste, cinnamon, cumin and paprika in a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or skillet. Add the lamb mixture to the pan, stirring and breaking up the chunks of lamb until crumbly and thoroughly cooked. Taste and season with salt to your preference.
- Arrange all five naan breads on two large baking sheets, and brush edges with additional olive oil.
- Evenly spread lamb mixture on top of all five naan breads, and put into the oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove lamb naans from oven and sprinkle with crumbled feta, red onions, parsley, and a generous squeeze of lemon. Serve immediately.