I love a savoury breakfast, and I’m always on the hunt for new quick and easy recipes I can make on lazy Sundays. Feeling inspired by zucchini season in Ontario, I decided to whip these up based on ingredients I had in my fridge and pantry, and these are now part of my permanent brunch roster. These tasty fritters remind me a lot of latkes, but feel healthier since they’re made with zucchini instead of potato and they’re a good way to sneak in some extra greens (at least that’s what I’m telling myself!)
Feel free to mix it up and add your own favourite veggies into these (I think grated carrots would be a great addition), and play around with spices! This is my classic recipe, but sometimes I add in cumin and paprika to make them into zucchini falafel patties.
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs/seasoning, your preference (I like Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute, but would also add in parsley, coriander, or garlic salt in a pinch)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, to serve
- In a large colander, toss zucchini with salt and let drain in sink for 10 minutes. Press down on zucchini to get as much moisture out as possible
- In a large bowl, toss together strained zucchini, flour, parmesan, eggs, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, and scoop batter by the spoonful into pan, letting it flatten. Fry until crispy and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with sour cream!