Secret confession: one of my favourite meals of all time is the Pad Sew from Thai Express in the mall food court. I love the sweet and savory combination of the saucy noodles, egg, and slightly bitter greens. I like getting the beef version when I’m at the mall, but occasionally I switch it up and get the fried tofu version because I love the way it soaks up all of the sauce.
I’m too impatient to take the time to finely slice the beef at home, so I like to make the tofu version because it’s quick, easy and tasty for a weeknight dinner. Plus, it’s perfect for a meatless Monday – since it still feels like a treat, I don’t miss the meat at all.
The key to this recipe is all in the sauce! Normally I don’t mind a few substitutions here and there, but for this one sticking to the recipe is key to get that familiar Thai Express flavour that I know and love. The noodles, tofu and egg all tend to soak up a lot of sauce, so don’t be shy. I hate dry rice noodles because they tend to get sticky and starchy, so keeping them nice and moist is key.
PRO TIP: don’t forget the lime and peanuts to finish! The peanuts add a great crunch and the lime gives the recipe a necessary tang to balance everything out.
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste to take (I used about a teaspoon)
- 1 package wide rice noodles
- 1 package deep fried tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 4 large eggs
- 6 heads of baby bok choy
- 1 lime, sliced to serve
- 1/4 cup peanuts, crushed to serve
- Prepare the noodles according to package instructions.
- Combine sauce ingredients and keep in a separate bowl.
- Add canoila oil to large wok or pan – once sizzling, add in minced garlic.
- Add in bok choy, cook 4-5 mins or until slightly tender.
- Add in tofu and mix with bok choy.
- Move the tofu and bok choy to one side of the pan and crack in the eggs. Thoroughly scramble and then combine.
- Add the noodles and sauce and combine all of the ingredients and let simmer for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle lime juice and peanuts on top just before serving.